This accessibility statement applies to grimsbycreates.co.uk. This website is run by North East Lincolnshire Council (NELC) and we want as many people as possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:
- Navigate and browse the site using non-pointing devices, such as keyboards, switches, voice or sip and puff devices
- zoom in to at least 500% without the text spilling off the screen
- Adjust the size of fonts using your browser or operating system settings
- Be informed in advance if a link contains a document or directs you to another site
- Visually determine which element has keyboard focus, at all times
- listen to all of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA, VoiceOver or TalkBack)
- Access this site with your chosen combination of device, browser and assistive technology
- Have an easy way to contact us in the event you discover an issue on our site, that prevents you or someone else accessing a part of our site
How accessible this website is
This site is fully compliant with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1 Level AA– external site .
- All content is contained in landmarks, and all HTML is validated against the HTML specification these meet SC 4.1.1 parsing – Level A
- All content follows a correct reading sequence, which meets SC 1.3.2 Meaningful Sequence – Level A
- We do not rely upon sensory characteristics (such as click the green button) anywhere on this site, this meets SC 1.3.3 Sensory Characteristics – Level A
- The site can be used in any orientation, which meets SC 1.3.4 Orientation – Level A
- Text can be resized, beyond 200%, without loss of content, this meets SC 1.4.4 Resize Text Level AA
- Colour is never used as a sole means of conveying information, this meets SC 1.4.1 Use of Color – Level AA
- All text has a minimum contrast ratio of 4.5:1, this meets SC 1.4.3 Contrast (minimum), the only exception to this is YouTube embeds which are out of our control. – Level A
- The website has been tested to reflow to a single column and not have 2-dimensional scrolling at a viewport width of 320 pixels, this meets SC 1.4.10 Reflow – Level AA
- Text spacing can be resized using common browser plugins or tools, this meets SC 1.4.12 text-spacing – Level AA
- A keyboard user will never become trapped within any user interface component, this meets SC 2.1.2 No Keyboard Trap – Level A
- There are no site-specific character keyboard shortcuts and this passes SC 2.1.4 Character key Shortcuts – Level A
- There are no animations or carousels on this site and the only content that flashes on this system is the standard text input indicator on form inputs and this is below the threshold, this meets SC 2.3.1 Three Flashes or Below Threshold – Level A
- A ‘Skip Link’ is present and all content is available in landmarks, this meets SC 2.4.1 Bypass Blocks, Level A
- Each page has a unique title, this meets SC 2.4.2 page Titled – Level A
- The focus order is always representative of the visual order, this meets SC 2.4.3 Focus Order – Level A
- There is a main navigation in the header and a site map located in the footer this meets SC 2.4.5 Multiple Ways – Level AA
- All content is structured with headings and labels, this meets SC Headings and Labels – Level AA
- We have implemented an enhanced visual focus indicator to every interactive element, which meets SC 2.4.7 Focus Visible Level A
- No change of context will ever occur on a down event, this meets SC 2.5.2 Pointer cancellation – Level A
- All control labels have a visible name that matches the accessible name, this meets SC 2.5.3 Label in Name – Level A
- The site language is set, this meets SC 3.1.1 Language of Page – Level A
- Navigation and interactive components are consistently named, across the site, this meets SC 3.2.3 Consistent Navigation – Level AA and SC 3.2.4 Consistent Identification – Level AA
- All pages tested pass HTML validation, with no errors, this meets SC 4.1.1 Parsing – Level A
- There are PDF’s on the site that have been tested to meet the full 2.1 AA standard requirements.
- All videos in this site use the YouTube auto-caption feature as well as provide an appropriate transcript meeting to requirements or the transcripts are available on request.
Feedback and contact information
If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print, easy read, audio recording or braille:
Address: Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, DN31 1HU
The council will consider your request and get back to you in 21 working days.
The council is always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems not listed on this page or think the council is not meeting accessibility requirements, please contact Digital-Inclusion@nelincs.gov.uk
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how the council responds to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS)– external site
Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person
The Municipal offices have audio induction loops and this facility is available at: North East Lincolnshire Council, Municipal Offices, Town Hall Square, Grimsby, North East Lincolnshire, DN31 1HU (The municipal Offices are currently closed due to the ongoing pandemic, but our phone lines remain open)
Find out how to contact us: NELC – Contact us– external site
The Council are committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
Technical information about this website’s accessibility
North East Lincolnshire Council is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.
This website is fully compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1– external site AA standard.
How we tested Grimsbycreates.co.uk
GrimsbyCreates had been tested through both manual accessibility testing backed up with automatic testing to help ensure that accessibility standards are being met. To ensure this both manual and automatic tests were made. Elements that were tested manually are contrast differences, keyboard navigation, hover and focus elements, alt text for images is assigned. Automated tools were then used to detect any further issues using:
- Arc toolkit
Through the combination of these tools and manual methods this helped ensure accessibility issues are resolved prior to this site going live.
There are social media embeds within the website that link to external Facebook and Twitter feeds. While we have done our best to make these accessible, we are limited within the freely provided API from both of these features. The rest of the site is however usable and skip links are provided.
Content that is not within the scope of the accessibility regulations
PDFs and other documents
Some of our PDFs and Word documents are essential to providing our services. For example, we have PDFs with information on how users can access our services, and forms published as Word documents. We are actively working on these PDF’s to ensure they are up to accessibility standards.
Any new PDFs or Word documents we publish will meet accessibility standards. Currently there are no PDF’S on the site but this is subject to change.
We do not plan to add captions to live video streams because live video is exempt from meeting the accessibility regulations– external site .
What we’re doing to improve accessibility
We will continue to monitor the accessibility of this site and provide training and advice to colleagues who can edit or add content.
Preparation of this accessibility statement
This statement was prepared on 21 October 2022. It was last reviewed on 24 October 2023.
This website was last tested on 24 October 2023. The test was carried out by a member of North East Lincolnshire Council’s Web Team.
We used this approach to deciding on a sample of pages to test manual selection based upon web traffic, random selection using a random number generator. We tested 10 pages, which are listed here:
We require that any new third party systems we commission for the website are Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.1 AA compliant. However, third party applications are partly or wholly out of our control and so may not conform to the same levels of accessibility as the rest of the website.
Third party applications include:
- We use WordPress as our login
- Facebook Embed
- Twitter Embed